8 minute read time
Campaign Monitor - Apr 22, 2020
This is a guest post from Sreeja Burgula at Simplilearn Solutions.
If you want to succeed with your digital marketing efforts, it’s essential to study and understand all the channels and tactics available to you.
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing includes all marketing efforts that use the internet and electronic devices, connecting audiences and customers wherever they may be online.
Professionals can gain expertise in digital marketing and improve their digital marketing efforts throughcourses and content.
A few of the critical parts of digital marketing are as follows.
- Search engine optimization (SEO). Channels that benefit from SEO include: websites, blogs, infographics
- Content marketing. Channels that benefit from content marketing include: blog posts, ebooks and whitepapers, infographics, online brochures
- Email marketing. Including emails that contain follow-up, customer welcome, promotions, tips for customer nurturing, blog subscription newsletters, etc.
- Social media marketing. Including marketing on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest
- Pay-per-click (PPC). For example, paid ads on Facebook, promoted Tweets, sponsored LinkedIn messages, etc.
- Affiliate marketing. For example, affiliate links on social media accounts and video ads on the YouTube Partner Program
- Native advertising such as Instagram advertising and Facebook advertising
- Marketing automation. For example, the automation of lead-nurturing workflows, email newsletters, contact list updating, social media post scheduling, campaign tracking, and reporting
- Online PR. Channels that benefit from PR efforts include: reporter outreach via social media, engagement through blogs or websites, and engagement through online reviews
- Inbound marketing. Includes a full-funnel approach to attract, engage, and delight customers using online content through any or all of the methods mentioned above
Get the small business marketing guide here.
Why do businesses adopt digital marketing?
Digital marketing benefits the marketer and the customer in several ways. However, businesses adopt digital marketing strategies and tactics mostly because it’s quantifiable, results-driven, adaptable, and faster than any other form of marketing available to any company no matter its size.
That said, there are several specific reasons why businesses adopt digital marketing. These reasons include:
- It provides an equal opportunity (competitiveness) for all business regardless of size and available resources
- It’s more cost effective than traditional marketing
- It allows targeted conversion of audiences and prospects to leads, subscribers, supporters, and customers
- It enhances revenue growth by reaching larger and niche markets (global and local) in a more efficient way
- It facilitates interaction with targeted audiences, wherever they may be online, including on mobile devices
- It helps build brand reputation
- It allows businesses to earn their audience’s trust
- It influences prospects to take favorable action through CTA
- It quickly provides analytics that enables businesses to grow
Recent trends in digital marketing
Digital marketing trends are constantly evolving as marketers find better ways to reach their audiences and as audiences demand better ways to interact with businesses.
Several trends have carried over from previous years, but the skill sets marketers need are constantly evolving. Just look at this research from McKinsey:
As you can see from this research, digital marketing is both important and growing in scope. This means you should not only grow your own skills, but you should hire employees with a diverse group of abilities.
More resources to consider for digital marketing efforts
Skills are important, but digital marketing goes beyond knowledge: Resources are also vital to your digital marketing efforts.
Read on to learn about aspects you can add to your future campaigns.
1. Artificial intelligence. AI can be used in an unlimited number of ways to power customer segmentation, push notifications, retargeting, click tracking, etc., depending on your chosen goals and channels.
Source: Business Insider
2. Chatbots. Companies can have basic conversations with customers through chatbots at any time and get referred to a customer care representative when necessary.
3. User-generated content, like customer reviews, are not only convincing to other users, but they also cost the business almost nothing.
Source: Social Media Today
4. AdWords spending has been on the rise since 2016 and continues to grow today. With the right strategy, businesses have managed to optimize and increase their ROI on paid advertising.
5. Omnichannel marketing. It provides a consistent and seamless communication process for customers across all channels. It’s an upgrade from multichannel marketing.
6. Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) and progressive web apps (PWA). These technologies provide faster loading time, better web experiences, and lower app development costs.
7. Email and marketing automation eliminates time-wastage, minimizes error, is cost-efficient, and increases collaboration between sales and marketing.
8. Voice search is increasingly being used as the technology improves and becomes more available to consumers through several gadgets including mobile devices.
Discover the results of our voice tech survey.
9. Video. Audiences are spending more time watching videos. Advertisers and marketers have noticed this and are building marketing campaigns to reach these audiences.
Source: Top Rank Marketing
10. Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) are both used by marketers in different ways to give audiences immersive experiences that’ll help them connect and engage with products and services.
10 ways businesses can achieve success in their digital marketing efforts
By combining the channels and tactics mentioned above, while keeping in mind recent trends and technologies that make it easier to connect, businesses can achieve success in their digital marketing in the following ways.
1. Be flexible and open to change.
Embracing the fast-paced changes in the digital marketing world and tweaking the new tools, strategies, and tactics accordingly, is a must for businesses to succeed and thrive in today’s world.
2. Set SMART objectives.
Setting Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound objectives that are consistent with your digital marketing plan is critically important. For example, a conversion objective can be to increase the average value of orders in online sales from $30 to $40.
3. Execute perfectly.
Once you create an objective plan for achieving your SMART objectives, you need to execute the plan on schedule. Executing perfectly will allow you to collect data and make changes to your plan to fit customer feedback. These changes also need to be executed quickly.
4. Exercise creativity throughout the process.
Right from the planning stage, be innovative and creative in using the content, as well as different integrated channels (omnichannel marketing) to reach your audience and target customers.
Content can include images, infographics, video, modernized websites, elegant designs, etc. Integrated channels can consist of mobile, social, web, phone, and physical stores.
Source: Multichannel Merchant
5. Target audience with market segmentation.
Understanding your target audience and reaching out to them wherever they may be is crucial for digital marketing success. Marketing segmentation is useful in helping marketers do this by studying audience behavior/characteristics and grouping similar traits, so that audience needs can be prioritized accordingly. Using AI and automation can help marketers achieve even higher levels of granularity and accuracy in an efficient way.
6. Diversify your channels, tactics, and strategies.
By understanding that no single digital marketing strategy is perfect, you become open to the idea that experimenting with different channels, tactics, and strategies is a critical part of achieving success.
One benefit of this mentality is that you’ll come across different audiences and customers that you didn’t know existed. These new audiences and customers can help you find new revenue streams.
7. Integrate your sales and marketing.
Integrating sales and marketing allows businesses to maximize every aspect of digital marketing because these teams will be working with a focused purpose as opposed to working against each other (knowingly or unknowingly).
Areas of maximization include the use of data, tools, seamless customer hand-over to different teams, etc.
Source: Digital Deepak
8. Collect, measure, track, and analyze data.
Today, data is crucial not just to provide your customers with a level of service that they expect, but also to keep up with the competition. As such, collecting, measuring, tracking, and analyzing data in real time to get insights is simply a must for businesses to succeed in their digital marketing efforts.
9. Always stay connected to your audience.
Customers today want to communicate and know what’s happening with their chosen vendors at all times. Businesses must, therefore, create an always-connected environment to nourish this desire by not only providing up-to-date content, but also by availing tools (e.g., chatbots) that make it easier to receive and send the content.
10. Collect feedback and respond to it accordingly.
Use surveys, polls and comment forms to collect feedback from audiences and customers. You can use one of our handy free feedback email templates.
Once you get customer input, use it to inform which strategies are working and which ones aren’t, and then adjust accordingly. The constant improvement will lead you to digital marketing success.
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution for success in digital marketing. However, by incorporating different facets of digital marketing as mentioned above, you can achieve success in digital marketing.
Take a digital marketing course or two, read all the content you can, and most importantly, start testing campaigns.
Sreeja Burgula works as an SEO Specialist at Simplilearn Solutions. He has a keen interest in writing research-driven articles on IT Service and Architecture.
- Return on investment (ROI) ...
- Return on ad spend (ROAS) ...
- Conversion rate. ...
- Cost per lead (CPL) ...
- Cost per acquisition (CPA) ...
- Website visits. ...
- Website visits by traffic source. ...
- Click-through rate.
- Marketing Qualified Lead (MQL) to Sales Qualified Lead (SQL) Conversion Rate. ...
- Customer Lifetime Value. ...
- Customer Acquisition Cost. ...
- Goal Completions. ...
- Return on Ad Spend. ...
- Impressions. ...
- Click-through Rate.
Identify your business goals: The first step of a digital marketing strategy is understanding your business objectives. For example, increase leads or e-commerce sales, increase the traffic to your website, increase your brand awareness through social media (likes and followers).How do you measure monitor success? ›
- Compare yourself to yesterday's self. ...
- Track your time spent on three important daily tasks. ...
- Track your time spent on three important annual tasks. ...
- Discover your core values. ...
- Consider the percentage of your communication geared to the listener.
- Begin By Setting The Goals For Your Campaign.
- Website Analytics.
- Performance of Inbound Links.
- Social Media Analytics.
- The Bottom Line Dollar.
ROI may be considered the most important indicator to monitor and assess. To track this KPI, you take the number of leads your campaign is generating, divided by the opportunity value, or your average value-per-win divided by your average lead-to-win ratio.What are the 10 steps to a successful social media strategy? ›
- Define Clear Goals. This is the foundation of your social media management or campaign strategy. ...
- Get To Know Your Audience. ...
- Choose the Right Platforms. ...
- Create a Content Bank. ...
- Identify Keywords and Hashtags. ...
- Create a Content Schedule. ...
- Set Up Social Tools. ...
- Set Your Analytics.
Digital marketing, also called online marketing, is the promotion of brands to connect with potential customers using the internet and other forms of digital communication. This includes not only email, social media, and web-based advertising, but also text and multimedia messages as a marketing channel.What are the 11 steps in creating a marketing plan? ›
- Define your offerings. ...
- Define your brand mission. ...
- Define your target audience. ...
- Conduct a market analysis. ...
- Conduct a competitor analysis. ...
- Define your brand positioning. ...
- Outline your goals. ...
- Outline your marketing strategy.
- Marketing Campaign Goals. ...
- Understanding Your Ideal Customer Profile. ...
- Quality Content About the Need. ...
- Promotion of Content. ...
- Call To Action.
The 4 Key Elements to Digital Marketing Success—Analytics, Content, CRM, and Channels.What are the most important factors for successful digital marketing? ›
Ensure your website is informative, with a clear layout, strong branding design, and most importantly, great content. You should also monitor your competitors' websites regularly to ensure you can drive forward your product's unique selling points and engage in the latest industry trends.What are 3 ways to measure or monitor your work performance? ›
- Graphic rating scales. A typical graphic scale uses sequential numbers, such as 1 to 5, or 1 to 10, to rate an employee's relative performance in specific areas. ...
- 360-degree feedback. ...
- Self-Evaluation. ...
- Management by Objectives (MBO). ...
It's useful to know how we're doing right now, and it's useful to know what level we're capable of holding over time. These four characteristics give us four types of progress measures: performance measures, activity measures, quota measures, and status measures.What is the best measure of success? ›
To measure success, you need to set goals, but not all goals are created equal. Taking the time to outline Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound goals will provide you with the foundation you need to measure the effectiveness of your project.How do you monitor digital strategy? ›
- Set clear business objectives.
- Identify your target segments.
- Establish your main KPIs.
- Choose the right digital marketing tools.
- Take actionable steps based on your stats.
- Measuring the performance of your digital marketing strategies is a must.
1.4 The monitoring and evaluation strategy is organized into four main streams of work: results monitoring, grant monitoring, evaluation, and dissemination and learning.What are the six major factors that marketers must constantly monitor? ›
- Natural (ecological)
- Revenue growth.
- Revenue per client.
- Profit margin.
- Client retention rate.
- Customer satisfaction.
According to this typology, there are four types of indicators: input, output, outcome and impact.
They assess progress towards the campaign goal and objectives, as well as the factors that condition such progress. Monitoring is the process of tracking campaign implementation, progress towards campaign goals and objectives, and external factors relevant to the campaign, such as new opportunities and risks.What makes a successful social media marketing? ›
Content should be your number one concern when creating social media campaigns. If it's not quality, don't post it. Connect with your audience. The heart of social media marketing – and its greatest challenge – is finding unique ways to connect with your customers and provide engaging content.What are the 8 steps to creating a social media marketing strategy? ›
- Define your target audience. ...
- Set clear goals and KPIs. ...
- Create and curate engaging content. ...
- Focus on the social media networks that best fit your strategy. ...
- Research your competitors. ...
- Engage with your followers. ...
- Make employees your brand advocates.
- Create a Strategy. Each platform needs its strategy. ...
- Be Consistent. While posting consistency depends on the platform, posting content regularly is always a good rule of thumb to follow. ...
- Create Engaging & Interesting Content. ...
- Engagement. ...
- Track and Analyze Metrics.
In contrast to other marketing models, the 7 Cs Compass Model considers both the marketing strategies as well as the segment to which the strategies are being targeted. The seven Cs are Corporation, Commodity, Cost, Communication, Channel, Consumer and Circumstances.What are the 7 P's of digital marketing? ›
Initially 4, these elements were Product, Price, Place and Promotion, which were later expanded by including People, Packaging and Process. These are now considered to be the “7 P's” mix elements.What are the 12 steps of marketing? ›
- Purpose. ...
- Describe Product or Service and Market. ...
- Identify the Competition. ...
- Setting the Price. ...
- The Advertising and Promotion Mix. ...
- Develop a Budget. ...
- Location. ...
- Estimate Your Sales.
Gordon identifies what he terms the 11 C's of Relationship Marketing (which in a sense act as a replacement to the traditional 4 P's of marketing): Customer; Categories; Capabilities; Cost, profitability and value; Control of the contact to cash processes; Collaboration and integration; Customization; Communications, ...What are 5 essential elements of marketing campaign? ›
- Value proposition.
- Call-to-action message.
- Delivery method.
- The Customer = The Hero. This is how your customer sees himself. ...
- A Clearly Defined Goal. ...
- Highly Targeted Messaging. ...
- Highly Targeted Audiences. ...
- Integrated, Multi-Channel Marketing.
For any business, whether a global enterprise or small company, a comprehensive plan that outlines every possible avenue to attract customers' attention is vital. The building blocks of an effective marketing strategy include the 6 P's of marketing: product, price, place, promotion, people, and presentation.What are the 3 C's of digital marketing? ›
In order to make the most of your social media marketing activities, it is crucial to make note of the three C's of social media: content, community, and commerce.What is the most important key to successful marketing? ›
Targeting and positioning
You should aim to sell to the market segments that will be most profitable for your business. It is important that your product offering meets the needs of your chosen target market. See target your most profitable customers and define your target market.
The 5 stages of strategic digital marketing planning include plan, reach, act, convert and engage. In this section, we will summarise the key success factors for each stage of your digital marketing strategy, with examples, integrated across the Smart Insights RACE Framework.How do you create a good digital marketing strategy? ›
- Create a Realistic Framework. ...
- Identify Appropriate KPIs at the Outset. ...
- Know How to Build an Effective Funnel. ...
- Understand What Makes for Effective Content. ...
- Plan Strategically but Flexibly. ...
- Create a Library of Evergreen Content. ...
- Visualize a Clear Direction.
- Define Audience Segmentation and Buyer Personas. ...
- Conduct a SWOT Analysis. ...
- Define Your Digital Marketing Channels. ...
- Develop Your Digital Marketing Strategies and Tactics. ...
- Define Your Digital Marketing Goals and Business Objectives.
A strong digital marketing strategy seeks to maximize the impact of owned, paid and earned media. These marketing strategies encompass multiple channels and approaches — spanning website content and blogs as well as online advertising, testimonials and reviews.What are three components of a successful digital marketing strategy? ›
At its highest level, digital marketing has three main components: Lead Generation, Lead Capturing, and Lead Nurturing.How do you run a digital marketing campaign? ›
- Build your buyer personas.
- Identify your goals and the digital marketing tools you'll need.
- Evaluate your existing digital channels and assets.
- Audit and plan your owned media campaigns.
- Identify your goals and the digital marketing tools you'll need.
- Monitor and report.
- Influencer marketing.
- Affiliate marketing.
- Google Ads.
- Social media marketing.
- Content marketing.
- Video marketing.
- Referral programs.
Today the 4Ps of traditional marketing are being quickly replaced by what I call as the 4Cs of Digital Marketing. Product, Price, Promotion & Place today very rapidly are getting replaced by Content, Cost, Channel & Creativity.What is digital marketing checklist? ›
A marketing checklist is a type of marketing plan that outlines different components of a marketing initiative. A marketing checklist can be a simple way to keep track of different marketing activities and components, including objectives and strategies.