Use digital marketing to get you visible online and maximising your efforts, and ultimately, your sales.
There are 3 key questions in the digital marketing world for new start-ups, and they’re all to do with online visibility and tracking your customers in order to maximise sales…
- How do you get people to your website? – Drive traffic
- How do you ensure search engines find your site? – Maximise your SEO
- How do you know who has been to your site and maximise your efforts? – Use analytics tools
What is Traffic?
Traffic is visitors to your website. They are grouped into different segments, depending on how they found you. Get your head around the types of traffic that you’ll commonly see used in online analytics:
Direct traffic URL type-ins, bookmarks, or media links that are not tracked
Campaign traffic display ads, email campaigns, social media campaigns (you can create a campaign tag to link to a landing page to track this)
Search traffic from search engines, including both organic (defined below) and paid search
Referral traffic from other sites that have direct links to your site
Organic traffic all traffic that comes to your site as a result of unpaid search results.
There are 3 main traffic outcomes that you can measure:
Quantity will show you how many people come to your site
Quality will demonstrate how your visitors have engaged with your site, including the bounce rate, which is how many people have clicked on to your page and then closed it down
And finally the cost of traffic: how much did it cost you to get them there and doing something? Here’s where the CPA comes in, which can be cost per acquisition or cost per action.
So, now that you have an understanding of what traffic is and what you can track about your website visitors, here are…
5 digital marketing methods to get people to your site
- Social Media Campaigns
Do you use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn?These platforms have intuitive and easy ways to set up ad campaigns where you can determine your budget and set your goal. You can define you who want to reach, where they live, or what their interests are, so you know your investment is getting your message to where it needs to be. However, make sure you don’t rely solely on social media.
- Email campaigns
Are you building a network of contacts? Get them engaged by updating them about your latest offers, news and events by utilising a platform such as MailChimp.
- Interactive advertising
Banner adsare image-based rather than text-based and are a popular form of online advertising. The purpose of this is to promote a brand and/or to get visitors from the host website to go to the advertiser’s website.
- Online partnerships
Affiliate marketing is an arrangement by which an online retailer pays commission to an external website for traffic or sales generated from its referrals. Companies such as eBay, Amazon, Not On The High Street, and Shopify could be a great fit for you to maximise your business.
Link building involves getting other websites to link back to your website, and it’s a brilliant way to boost your SEO. Optimising this involves increasing the number and quality of your inbound links.
- Search engine marketing
Search engine optimisation (SEO) – as explored below, this is the process of increasing the visibility of a website or a web page to users of a web search engine.
Pay per click advertising (PPC) – is an internet advertising model used to drive traffic to websites, in which an advertiser pays a publisher when the ad is clicked.
SEO Top Tips to Search Engine Optimise Your Blog Content
Search engine optimisation is incredibly important for marketers. When you optimise your web pages — including your blog posts — you’re making your website more visible to people who are entering keywords associated with your product or service via search engines like Google.
And this is the million-dollar question: how do you optimise? There are two types of optimisation, on-page, and off-page.
On-page optimisation, what you can do…
- Increase the frequency of the key phrase
- Ensure your keywords/phrase occur in headings <h1>, <h2>
- Make sure there’s coherence in the anchor text of hyperlinks
- Use a mark-up, such as bold text
- Increase the density of word or phrase (where they occur near to each other in a block of text)
- Proximity of phrase to start of document and gap between individual keywords
- Include Alt data on all of your images (which is a short description of what your image shows). NB Adding alternative text to photos is a principle of web accessibility; visually impaired users using screen readers will be read an alt attribute to better understand an on-page image, Alt tags will be displayed in place of an image if an image file cannot be loaded, and they provide better image context/descriptions to search engine crawlers, helping them to index an image properly
- Streamline your document metadata/tags: page title and description. NB Metadata is used to describe individual pages on a website, allowing search engines to understand what each page portrays.
Off-site optimisation, what you can do…
- Include links into a page from other sites, which is a good indicator of relevance
- Maximise your chances of gaining natural links, which will be created if your content is useful and valued
- Look for link quality, not link quantity
- Conduct a proactive link-building strategy, involving:
- Trade associations – what organisations are funded by businesses operating in your industry?
- Suppliers and other business partners – who are your professional connections?
- Bloggers – are there influencers you can leverage to promote your product or service?
- Social networks – what networks do your customers and competitors operate in?
- Aim for deep links to specific pages, products, articles rather than just to your landing page
- Promote and engage with other businesses and with customers – the more user-generated content, such as reviews and comments, the better!
If you’d benefit from going into greater depth to enhance your website’s performance, take a look at our How to start selling online and use e-commerce to get more sales workshop and register for your place on our next one.
What Can Analytics Tell You About How Your Efforts Are Performing?
What you will want to know…
- Who has been to your site? How did they behave? Where were they from? How did they find you? Was it through search, referral, or a direct link?
An analytics dashboard will tell you:
- Unique visitors
- Unique visitors from SEO, social media
- How people find your website: organic, referral, direct
- Top keywords (non-branded)
- Top viewed pages
- Which social networks are sending the most traffic
- Referral websites (excluding major websites like Google and social networks).
|SEO analytics dashboard|
Unique visitors from SEO
Top keyword (non-branded)
Keywords related to your top keyword
Search engines used: Google, Yahoo, Bing…
Top viewed pages from SEO
Cities finding your website through search
|Geography analytics dashboard|
Visits by city
Visits by state
Visits by continent
Cities with slow load times
Mobile analytics dashboard
What % of visitors are mobile
What mobile devices they’re using
Top mobile content
Top iPad content
Top iPhone content
Average time on site for mobile visitors
Bounce rate by mobile device
|Technical analytics dashboard|
Average page load time
Slowest loading pages
Operating systems used
Bounce rate by browser
Average time on site
Days between visits
Luckily, you don’t have to collate and number crunch all that data yourself!
Here Are 5 Digital Marketing Analysis Tools to Consider…
Google Analytics is a free web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic, currently as a platform inside the Google Marketing Platform brand.The tool records various activities of your users when they visit your website, along with the attributes (such as age, gender, interests) of those users.
Cyfeis an all-in-one online business. Cyfe integrates all of your online marketing analytics in one dashboard, helping you see all of your information in one place. You can see historical data, get real-time reports, and integrate custom data sources such as custom widgets or APIsand more.
Mixpanelis a trusted, advanced mobile and web analytics platform. It’s acclaimed for being simple, because you don’t have to write SQL queries. It helps you track actions (instead of page views) and also comes with predictive analytics features. Therefore, Mixpanel helps you measure and predict what actions people take on your app, whether it be on iOS, Android or web.
Moz Pro is a SEO analytics and performance platform, built by industry experts, which provides intelligent data and tools to help marketers and SEO professionals generate actionable insights. It can be your complete SEO toolset.
SEMrushis a competitive analysis tool that allows you to take a close look at what your competitors are doing online, so you can adjust your strategy to beat them in search rankings. A complete marketing toolset, SEMrush lets you monitor your brand (and your competitors’ brands), social media accounts and more.
Goal setting – what action do you want your customers to take?
You want the traffic that visits your site to complete a set of actions to achieve your marketing objective. In order to do this, you need to be clear what actions you want your customers to take.
- Contact general enquiry, telephone, email, visit
- Book an appointment test drive, eye test
- Consume stream content, read news
- Click on advertisers
- Fill out an online order form, membership application form
- Subscribe newsletter
- Sign up for trial membership, subscription
- Download something app, brochure, white paper, timetable
- Add to cart, wish list, watch list
- Checkout and pay
Let our expert take you through the steps you need to complete to optimise your digital marketing. You can register for one of our upcoming Digital Marketing workshops here.
Investing in converting visitors is easier and cheaper than getting new visitors.
Calculate your conversion rate optimisation (CRO):
Your Total Conversions is the number of people who did whatever it is defined as converting (email newsletter, made a purchase, and so on).
To get your Conversion Rate you divide the above total number of conversions by the number of visitors to your site.
So, a site with 5000 visitors and 50 conversions has a conversion rate of 1%.
So, food for thought: doubling your conversion rate means halving your cost-per-acquisition. Now, all you’ve got to do is make sure you’re paying attention to your online visibility, and optimise it where you can. By doing this, you’ll get the traffic you need to your website that will help you to achieve your business goals!
Do you need some help with your marketing for your new business? Join Start and Grow Enterprise for free support with your website, social media, digital marketing, and your marketing strategy by registering on our and networking events.
Pay-per-click (PPC) is a digital advertising model that is used to drive traffic to websites. An advertiser typically pays a search engine (Google Ads, Amazon Advertising, or Microsoft Advertising) when the ad is clicked.How do I start a digital marketing blog? ›
- Step 1: Choose the subject you'd like to blog about. ...
- Step 2: Choose a domain name. ...
- Step 3: Choose a blogging platform. ...
- Step 4: Choose your blog host and theme. ...
- Step 5: Create your content.
- Create your own website.
- Choose one digital marketing channel to focus on.
- Learn more about your chosen digital marketing channel.
- Execute on what you're learning.
- Familiarize yourself with free digital marketing tools.
- Apply for a job in marketing.
Web site traffic is the amount of visitors and visits in a Web site (sometimes referred as ”sessions“) and is a common way to measure an online business effectiveness at attracting clients. It is also a starting point to determine a website's popularity and visibility.What are the 3 most important things in digital marketing? ›
At its highest level, digital marketing has three main components: Lead Generation, Lead Capturing, and Lead Nurturing.Which digital marketing is best for beginners? ›
- Get on-the-job experience. Once you've decided on an initial focus area, put yourself out there. ...
- Learn as much as you can. ...
- 2) Search Engine Marketing (SEM): ...
- 3) Email Marketing: ...
- 6) Content Marketing. ...
- 7) Social Media Marketing.
The highest digital marketing salary you can make as an entry-level digital marketer would be around ₹3,00,000 to ₹4,00,000 per annum.How much can a beginner make in digital marketing? ›
|Annual Salary||Hourly Wage|
Entry-level digital marketing salaries in the U.S.
Digital marketing newbies are best qualified for roles like digital marketing specialists or digital marketing analysts. Here's what the experts say these professionals will earn per year: Payscale: $52,151 USD base salary for a digital marketing specialist.
All this talk of search algorithms and keyword research and reciprocal links sounds complicated. Relax, despite all the technical jargon, SEO isn't that hard to learn, even for a complete beginner. You just have to be willing to put in the time and effort.
Hourly rates. 34.8% of respondents price some or all of their work by the hour. We found that $75–$100 per hour is the most popular hourly rate for SEOs, with 24% of respondents charging this rate. 47% of respondents charge between $75 and $200 per hour.How do beginners learn SEO for free? ›
- Step 1: Find keywords.
- Step 2: Put keywords in the page title.
- Step 3: Put keywords in the page URL.
- Step 4: Put keywords in your meta description.
- Step 5: Put keywords in your H1 text.
- Step 6: Use keywords in the page's content.
- Step 7: Build links to your website.
- Step 8: Monitor your rank.
ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer is a web-based network traffic analyser tool that helps you collect and analyse network traffic patterns to provide you with real-time traffic behavior and bandwidth usage by application, interface, and devices. You can monitor traffic types like HTTP, HTTPS, VoIP, and streaming.What are the different types of traffic in digital marketing? ›
There are different types of traffic: Direct, Organic, Referral, Social, Email, Display and Paid. These describe exactly how that traffic arrived at your site.How do I analyze traffic to my website? ›
- Understand Where Traffic Is Coming From. ...
- Recognize The Difference Between Page Views, Visits, And Unique Visitors. ...
- Review Your Bounce rate. ...
- Aim To Increase Time Spent On Page. ...
- Review Your Goals Set. ...
- Key Takeaways.
In contrast to other marketing models, the 7 Cs Compass Model considers both the marketing strategies as well as the segment to which the strategies are being targeted. The seven Cs are Corporation, Commodity, Cost, Communication, Channel, Consumer and Circumstances.What are the 3 C's of digital marketing? ›
In order to make the most of your social media marketing activities, it is crucial to make note of the three C's of social media: content, community, and commerce.What are the 4 P's of digital marketing? ›
The four Ps are product, price, place, and promotion. They are an example of a “marketing mix,” or the combined tools and methodologies used by marketers to achieve their marketing objectives.Can I start digital marketing with no experience? ›
It's possible to get into digital marketing with no experience, but if you want to become a Digital Marketer, you will first need to develop the right skills – and be able to demonstrate them.How to make money in digital marketing with no experience? ›
- Pick a Specialty That Interests You. ...
- Build Your Foundational Knowledge. ...
- Take a Course or Get a Certificate. ...
- Build a Digital Marketing Portfolio. ...
- Network Online and In-Person. ...
- Look for Agency and In-House Jobs. ...
- Consider Related Jobs To Get Your Foot in the Door.
Absolutely, yes. Digital marketing agencies can produce revenue right from the initial stage and can be profitable on a small scale as well. The way businesses are heading towards digital marketing, the future demand seems very bright and safe for digital marketing agencies.Can a digital marketer Be A Millionaire? ›
With proper guidance and hard work, you can have many opportunities to kick start your career as a digital marketer and become rich.Which digital marketing skill pays the most? ›
- SEM/SEO Specialists.
- Content Strategist.
- E-Commerce Specialist.
- Brand Marketing Expert.
- Social Media Marketer.
- Digital Project Manager.
- Marketing Analyst.
- Visual Designer.
A Marketing career is quite stressful. It requires a lot to be done on a daily basis. Pacing yourself makes it quite easier. It will save quite some time if you'll start with easy tasks first.Can digital marketing be a side hustle? ›
So, YES. Digital Marketing CAN be your side hustle! But before starting your side hustle, first, you should know about it correctly. Many times, more than giving a lot of effort you should know what you are putting your efforts into.What kind of marketing pays the most? ›
- Corporate Communications Director. ...
- Marketing Research Director. ...
- Director of Email Marketing. ...
- Director of Digital Marketing. ...
- Content Marketing Director. ...
- Demand Generation Manager. ...
- Brand Marketing Manager.
Just like with other tech roles, many digital marketing jobs allow you to work from home and earn a higher salary than you might in other junior positions. Landing a digital marketing job is one of the most direct ways for tech newcomers to start working in the industry.How long does it take to learn digital marketing? ›
It takes most people one to three months to learn the different digital marketing tools and techniques, and it takes six months to a year to perfect those skills through practice.How much do freelance Digital Marketers earn? ›
Digital Marketing Freelancer salary in India ranges between ₹ 1.0 Lakhs to ₹ 6.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 3.5 Lakhs.How many hours do Digital Marketers work? ›
Working hours are typically 37 to 40 hours per week, although hours will increase during large-scale marketing campaigns and project work.
To become an SEO specialist, you don't need any specific background experience. People who work in SEO often come from various backgrounds, including marketing and communications, business, and information technology.How do I get into SEO with no experience? ›
- Take an SEO course (or several SEO courses)
- Learn SEO by optimizing their own website.
- Work at a marketing agency.
- Take on SEO clients.
- Get an online SEO certification or degree.
- Work as an “in house” SEO professional.
The short answer is: no, SEO typically doesn't require much (or any) hands-on coding. You can absolutely do a fine job of SEO without touching code. But the longer answer is that yes, a good sense of how programming works, or even an ability to do a bit of coding yourself, is always a useful skill to have.Can I do SEO on my own? ›
If you've wondered, “Can I do SEO myself?” the answer is definitely. You don't need to hire an outside agency to improve your SEO, and this guide gives you some basic SEO tips to get started.How long does it take to learn SEO? ›
Experts say it usually takes one to three months to learn the foundations of SEO and a year or more to master the practice fully. The length of time it takes to learn the basics of SEO depends upon several factors.What is better Google ads or SEO? ›
If your goal is to drive traffic to your site in the short term, you might choose to focus on PPC ads. If you want to enhance your business's online presence in the long run, SEO is the answer. Alternatively, invest your time and energy in both SEO and PPC for a well-rounded strategy.Can I learn SEO in one month? ›
While it's a career-long journey, you can indeed learn SEO in about a month — enough to make a huge impact on your website and thus your business as a whole.Is learning SEO difficult? ›
SEO is not that hard to learn, but it can be confusing and overwhelming to get started. Learning SEO means learning about a long list of individual digital marketing strategies, which can feel a bit like adding new weapons to your arsenal as you learn how to wield them.How to earn money from SEO? ›
- Selling productized SEO services. Selling productized SEO services or, in other words, creating standardized versions of services sold as products is a great way to make money with SEO. ...
- Content writing. ...
- Start a niche site. ...
- Create an e-commerce or dropshipping site. ...
- Website flipping. ...
- SEO training. ...
- SEO consulting.
Devices typically used include speed bumps, barricades to block streets, turn prohibitions, stop signs, and raised pavement markers.
- Google Analytics. Google Analytics is the go-to platform for many marketers, in large part because it's totally free, chock-full of features, and comes with the clout of the Google brand name. ...
- Bitly. ...
- Piwik. ...
- Open Web Analytics. ...
- Clicky. ...
- SimilarWeb. ...
- SEMrush. ...
- Moz Keyword Explorer.
topXview™ traffic management control center software features majority of communication protocols used in ITS/ATMS industry today. That way, it can collect data from all sensors and sources of data connected to Traffic Management Center (traffic data, weather, video, other agencies and services, etc.).What are the 7 main types of traffic signs? ›
- Traffic Signs.
- Red and White Regulatory Signs.
- Warning Signs.
- Highway Construction and Maintenance Signs.
- Service Signs.
- Guide Signs.
Using one or more of these ad channels can help you establish an online presence and convert prospects into real customers.
- Social media advertising. ...
- Paid search advertising. ...
- Native advertising. ...
- Display advertising.
- Organic Search: Traffic from the Search Engines.
- Referral: Traffic from other websites.
- Direct: Traffic from Typed in traffic, bookmarks or non browser sources.
- Paid Traffic: Traffic you have paid money to get to your website.
- Optimize your content with keywords. ...
- Create targeted landing pages. ...
- Craft engaging, high-quality content. ...
- Use digital ads to promote your site. ...
- Boost your local search reputation. ...
- Send emails that link to your website.
- Google Analytics. As we previously mentioned, Google Analytics is the first place to check when it comes to tracking website visitor data. ...
- Ahrefs. There's a reason why the Ahrefs tool comes so highly recommended by most digital marketers. ...
- Moz Pro. Source: Moz.
SEO is also more effective for local searches and can grow your online presence for longer. Pay-per-click (PPC), on the other hand, is an acquisition strategy that requires you to spend ad money to get your content in front of an audience when they search for specific keywords online.What is the most effective digital marketing? ›
- Paid Search Advertising. This could be anything from media buys to display ads. ...
- Email Marketing. Email marketing is still considered one of the most powerful advertising media on the Internet. ...
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) ...
- Social Media Marketing. ...
- Video Marketing.
Google states that the average ROI on organic search is 5.3X versus just 2X from paid search. Plus, it's the ONLY channel that accrues value over time. Put it all together, and you can see why SEO is one of the most effective digital marketing channels for producing exceptional marketing ROI.
Most businesses have budgets that range from $500/month to $10,000/month. Large SEO projects cost an average of $1,500-$5,000 per month. Average hourly SEO services costs $100-$300 per hour. For small businesses, spend at least $500 per month on SEO to see results.Is Google Ads SEO or PPC? ›
Google Ads is Google's pay-per-click (PPC) advertising solution, which allows businesses to bid on keywords for a chance to show ads in Google search results.Is SEO better than Google Ads? ›
Google Ads is better for quick, top of the page results and SEO is better for long-term Google ranking. If budget is more of a concern and time is not then SEO is better. If you want to be at the top of the first-page search result like next week then Google Ads is better for you.Who is the No 1 digital marketer in the world? ›
Neil Patel is one of the top digital marketing influencers. Listed as the world's leading marketing ad consultant, and now boasts a track record as an investor and co-founder of software companies. For instance, Crazy egg and other startups.What are the 4 types of digital marketing? ›
Digital marketing can be broadly broken into 8 main categories including: Search Engine Optimization, Pay-per-Click, Social Media Marketing, Content Marketing, Email Marketing, Mobile Marketing, Marketing Analytics and Affiliate Marketing .What is your top 3 digital marketing strategies to attract clients? ›
- Leverage social media.
- Start a blog.
- Maximize search engine optimization (SEO).
- Create a call to action (CTA).
- Engage influencers.
- Build a mailing list.
- Create an affiliate program.
The 7Ps of marketing are – product, pricing, place, promotion, physical evidence, people, and processes. The 7 Ps make up the necessary marketing mix that a business must have to advertise a product or service.How to make money through digital marketing? ›
- Content Writing. Content writing involves publishing different forms of online communication like blogs, articles, news pieces, landing pages, product reviews, and video transcriptions. ...
- Paid Social Media Ads. ...
- Email Marketing. ...
- Affiliate Marketing.
“Content is king”, a famous quote written and published by Microsoft founder Bill Gates in the year 1996. Although the quote is not new but due to the increased focus on content marketing strategies it becomes exactly relevant.What is the most profitable marketing channel? ›
- Email marketing.
- Social media marketing.
- Word of mouth marketing (WOMM)
- Influencer marketing.
- Offline advertising.
- Online advertising.
- Partnership marketing.
- Community building.
Video marketing is one of the fastest-growing channels of marketing, and arguably has the most potential today. Video can boost conversions, generate leads, improve ROI, and establish a stronger emotional connection between your brand and audience than any other medium.